Download recent newsletters and sign up to receive future newsletters.
The United Churches Newsletter connects you to ministries we do together and ways we can fellowship, grow and enjoy God’s blessings.
Click the button below to download the latest newsletter as well as previous newsletters. The supplements contain extra information (flyers, posters, forms, etc.) about items contained in the monthly newsletter
There are many events happening throughout our community to enhance your spiritual life.
We have Wednesday Noon Ecumenical Lunches meetings every week of the school year Because of the coronavirus, we are doing virtual lunches through Zoom technology. These meetings will begin again in September. Here is the schedule.
September 16: Rev. Gwen Bernstine, Executive Director United Churches, will reflect on the recent “Transitions At Our Shepherd Of The Streets Ministry” and will share pictures of the farewell and welcoming process.
September 23: Mrs. Lucy Henry and Mrs. Wendy McCormick, Wonderful Local Musicians, will be sharing some “American and Celtic Tunes on Harp and Flute.”
September 30: Mrs. Janet Hurbert and Mrs. Mary Sieminski, Local Historians for Women in our area, will bring the issue of women getting the right to vote to a local level with a program entitled “Lycoming County Women in the Struggle for Suffrage.”
“The Board of Directors of the United Churches of Lycoming County selected the Rev. Mark Donald Brumbach to replace J. Morris Smith, Th. D. as Shepherd of the Streets. His ministry as the Shepherd began Monday, August 31st,” the Rev. Gwen N. Bernstine, executive director of United Churches of Lycoming County, announced on behalf of the Board of Directors.
A United Methodist pastor, Reverend Brumbach currently serves the South Williamsport United Methodist Congregation. Prior to that assignment he served United Methodist Congregations in Hallam, and Trout Run, Pennsylvania. During eight years of this time he also served in the Military as a Chaplain for the PA Army National Guard (deployed to Louisiana in support of hurricane Katrina relief) and the PA Air National Guard (deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan.)
Mark and his wife Emily live on a small farm in Cogan House Township, Trout Run, and are the parents of two adult children. Emily is a music teacher in South Williamsport Area School District. They look forward to continuing to travel to and from work together most days and Mark will continue as Pastor at South Williamsport United Methodist Church as well as being Shepherd of the Streets. He is looking forward to performing hands-on Christian ministry at people’s point of need.
Yvonne Shenuski, chairperson of the Shepherd of the Streets Advisory Board, noted that his ministry has provided him with many opportunities to reach out to counsel and assist individuals. His military ministry especially afforded him opportunities to serve within a pluralistic, multi-cultural, multi-racial, multi-ethnic environment.
Our community’s annual walk to fight hunger, the CROP Hunger Walk, is scheduled for Sunday, October 11 at 1 P.M.
As with many things in our lives, this will be a hybrid event. Many of us will gather, with social distancing and with masks and others will choose to walk individually. Walkers are encouraged to walk 3, 6 or 9 miles.
Structured opportunities will be in Hughesville, in Quiggleville, and in Trout Run. Because of the Caronavirus you or members of your congregation may wish to walk on your own instead.
This year is our 42nd walk and, to date, we have raised over 1 million dollars to help stop hunger! Last year we raised $10,626.06. We hope we can count on your congregation’s participation.
CROP Walk materials may be found at www.crophungerwalk.org/williamsportpa. Our local information and educational material is also available from United Churches or Trinity Episcopal Church.
Thank you for doing your part to fight hunger both locally and globally. 25% of the money we raise goes to our community and is distributed equally among the New Love Center in Jersey Shore, the Sonlight House of Muncy, United Churches Food Pantry. and West End Christian Community Center. The other 75% is distributed by Church World Service (CWS) nationally and internationally to help people who are hungry.
One of the ways CWS is changing lives is found in Paraguay where over time, as borders and fences arose, people’s freedom of movement decreased. and indigenous families had to adapt. Although honey had been in their diets for generations, the practice of raising bees is relatively new. CWS is now helping families harvest their own honey for consuming and selling for income. By the end of 2020, they hope to help 75 people take up beekeeping. It is a lifeline during these challenging times. Families are selling honey to earn income to meet basic needs.
Because of your compassion to help the less fortunate, the difference of triving and surviving is made […]