We are making 2021 a special year of prayer involving all congregations and people in the county.
The heart of United Churches is our life and work together. Through our life together we have built many relationships and look forward to building many more. We will celebrate with a daily prayer calendar. The calendar for the first ten days is below. Currently please pray for:
- Saturday 1/9 – Sojourner Truth Ministry, 501 High Street, Williamsport, Rev. Angelique Labadie-Chianowyz, Director – Pray that the economically and otherwise challenged people served here know the transforming love of God. ❦
- Sunday 1/10 – Pennsdale Friends Meeting House, Mary Engle, Clerk – Pray with our small congregation as we too find our way through the pandemic, trying to stay active but with a number of people not feeling safe to be meeting for worship. Pray for all congregations who struggle with the clarity to see the way forward. As Friends tend to do, we “wait in the Light”, individually and corporately, for guidance, trying not to rush God for that guidance. ❦
- Monday 1/11 – Pray for all Church Staff as they continue in their varied duties, both traditional and continually changing in these unprecedented times. ❦
- Tuesday 1/12 – New Covenant United Church of Christ, 202 East Third Street, Williamsport, Rev. Brad Walmer – Please pray for our congregation; the pastor, members and ministries. ❦
- Wednesday 1/13 – Chaplaincy Department at UPMC Susquehanna – Rev. John Charnock, Director – Pray for the health and safety of all Chaplains and Caregivers as they serve the sick and suffering. ❦
- Thursday 1/14 – Unityville United Methodist Charge – Pine Wesley and Franklin Fairview UMC – Kathy Burkhart, Certified Lay Minister – Pray for us as we struggle without new, younger attendees with children. Help us to see our church and community with God’s big eyes and a heart full of love. We don’t have the modern technology younger families are used to, or the contemporary style of worship they often like. Our traditional worship experience keeps us healthy, but we continue to grow smaller as members age and join Your Heavenly Kingdom. Help us to hear God’s guidance so we can be the fellowship of country folk that He wants us to be. ❦
- Friday 1/15 – St. Marks Lutheran Church, 142 Market St., Williamsport, Rev. Brian Vasey – Pray for all those and their families who are victims of COVID-19, and all those who are struggling with sickness, disease, unemployment, and isolation in this unprecedented time. Please also pray for healing for our church secretary. ❦
- Saturday 1/16 – Calvary Church of the Nazarene, 3200 Lycoming Creek Road, Williamsport, Rev. Terri Bennett-Smith – Pray that our congregation hears God’s direction for a church specific community ministry for us. ❦
- Sunday 1/17 – United Campus Ministry at Penn College, Pastor Tammey Aichner, Coordinator – Pray for the students at Penn College of Technology as they begin their Spring Semester this week, and for all college students beginning their semester. ❦
Week of Prayer for Christian Unity will be a special time this year! Mark January 18th – 25th on your calendar. There will be special devotions and a zoom conversation at 6 each evening. This week will also includes the Martin Luther King Jr. events.
A Monthly Prayer Gathering: We will have the opportunity to gather as people of faith on the last Sunday of the month via zoom for an evening time of prayer between 4 and 4:30.
Kick off Anniversary Celebration Service: Reserve the date!
January 17, 2021 at 3 p.m. It will be available live on Zoom and and live-streamed on Facebook and from this website, as well as being available for viewing later. Our Guest Speaker will be Bishop Barbara Collins, Upper Susquehanna Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America.
As part of our celebration, we will provide service opportunities (each month at different area ministries) lifting up and supporting our area ministries. In January, we will be serving dinner church three Saturdays at Sojourner Truth (SJTM).
SJTM dates and meal plans follow. Contact United Churches to volunteer at 570-322-1110.
1/9: -Mac & Cheese, Fried Chicken, Corn, Rolls, Jello/Pudding
1/16:-Biscuits, Sausage Gravy, Home Fries, Fruit
1/23rd:-Pulled Pork, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Cookies
Each week we will provide 75 meals. We need your help preparing and serving these meals.
It is always a pleasure to work with each of you! You are so willing to give of your time and talents and share the love that God has shared with you! We all know the church is not our buildings. The church is each of us, a visible presence, loving our neighbors. In 2021 we look forward to having many special opportunities to reach out to our neighbors as United Churches!
Join in and get a bit of a glimmer of what the family of God looks like?